Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tis the season to eat, part 1

The fall in general is a great time for food lovers, including me. There are so many tasty staples: chili, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, apples, etc... However, Christmas is approaching, and that marks the end of endless gorging on food :P Well, I'm marking the end of the food season with several special meals over the next few days.

The first of these was my dinner tonight. A couple of weeks ago I heard about 5 Seasons Brewery. And yes, my first thought was, "but it's a brewery, how good can the food be"? The answer is, "really good." The best part is that it's not simply good, it's also novel, and interesting, and creative. How many places serve things like lime avocado mashed potatoes, rabbit enchiladas AND antelope burger?!? In case it doesn't sound amazing yet, all the ingredients are organic.

But let me start from the beginning. My friend Cashew (nickname) and I went there for a "quick" dinner before seeing a movie. This is a brewery after all, so we started off with some of their house-brewed beers:
I had the Venus Belgian Wit, which is possibly the lightest and best wheat beer I've had. Unfortunately, I can't remember what Cashew's beer was called, but I do remember that I was really good :)

For appetizer, we got the seared rabbit pieces and crispy liver. I'm not a fan of how liver tastes, and this dish didn't change my opinion. On the bright side, the rabbit meat itself was really tender and flavorful.









Finally, for the main course, I continues with the rabbit theme and got rabbit enchiladas. I was expecting a dish covered with cheese, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the enchiladas were the star of this dish, not the cheese. The tortillas were also nice and crispy, something you can't get in a cheese-soaked dish. Cashew wanted the ropa vieja with lime avocado mashed potatoes, but they were out of it. I guess everyone else wanted to try those potatoes... I know I do and I'm definitely going back specifically for them. Anyway, she had to "settle" for an antelope burger. I sure hope that it wasn't made from some endangered species because it was so good, it might lead the species to extinction. Interestingly, antelope meat tastes very lean and very heavy/flavorful at the same time... Oh, I forgot to mention that the burger came with a side of sweet potato fries. The good things at thins place seem to be never-ending.
 
We had to rush to make it to our movie on time after the dinner, but it was worth it. I really liked this place, and I'll try to go there again.

P.S. I apologize for the poor picture quality. They seemed fine on the preview screen on the camera in the dark restaurant, but they are too dark to be viewed on the screen. The flash on the camera will have to become my friend, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, since A _ _ is going to have a nickname, can I have one as well? I propose Pumpkin :)
    Your blog is very nice btw.

    ReplyDelete