Sunday, January 16, 2011

Snow blues

I must admit, I am not doing that well at this blogging thing. I keep forgetting to take pictures when I go out. But I think I'll simply start describing the food, just so I can mention all the places I go to.

But for today, I do have pictures. Last week Atlanta got hit by an epic snow storm, and got a whooping six inches of snow :P  And these six inches of snow were enough to close down the city for a whole week... Well, the freezing rain right after the snow and the freezing temperatures for two days did make the situation worse than it might seem. Anyway, the fact is that I was stuck at home for 5 days. My friend Cashew was visiting me, so she was stuck here for the same length of time. By the 5th day, we were so ready to go out, we decided to walk to the local Top Spice Thai restaurant. Having spicy Thai food was a great idea for a cold winter day :) We first tried their veggie and tofu soup and coconut soup. Both were good enough, but nothing special.

For lunch we shared the spicy basil chicken and a seafood noodle dish with an unpronounceable name :P I only remember that it was the last item on the lunch menu. Just like the soup, the entrees were ok. They weren't as spicy as we wanted them to be, but at least they weren't too salty either. Despite everything, I do think that Top Spice has the best reasonably-priced Thai dishes in Atlanta. I've had Thai food at MaLi as well, but I don't remember what it tasted like :(

After the lunch, Cashew and I were looking for something new to do after a week of watching movies and TV. Pumpkin had sent us a recipe for French macarons, so we took up the challenge and decided to make them. The recipe she sent us was really really easy to follow, and included insider tricks and secrets that we credit with our ultimate success. Maybe our macarons were not the best ever made, but they were a valiant first try. Their texture was perfect, which is the hardest thing to get right for macarons.

Btw, here's the link if anyone else wants to attempt this culinary challenge: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-schler/homemade-macarons-recipe_b_807876.html Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment