Sunday, May 15, 2011

Need my brunch!

In case I haven't mentioned it already, breakfast food is my favorite type of food. However, I'm not a morning person, so for 90% of the time I settle for cereal and soymilk. Well, there's nothing wrong with that because I love cereal as well. My current favorite is the Kashi Go Lean Crisp cereal. Not too sweat and very tasty!

But enough with the tangents. I love brunch because I get to enjoy breakfast food at a later time in the day. I have tried so many brunch places around town already, but my favorite so far is Murphy's in the Highlands. Another place that is supposed to be very good is Ria's Bluebird in Decatur. So on Mother's Day weekend, MissCriss, a friend of mine who shares my passion for brunch, and I decided to try Ria's. We got there early, to beat the Mother's Day brunch crowd. Well, by the time we got there, there was a huge line and a long wait. By the way, the place inside is pretty small, so that must contribute to the long wait times. We didn't feel like standing out for an hour, so we decided to go somewhere else instead. The place of choice was The Parrish, a Cajun-style restaurant in Inman Park also known for its brunch. Unlike at Ria's, the space at The Parrish is amazing, and we were seated right away. It's very spacious, on two floors, with a market downstairs, and decorated in an old plantation house style. It's very rustic and elegant. They also have an nice patio with leather armchairs, but all table there were taken :(

Now back to the food... I ordered the Parish Benedict, which was really tasty. Interestingly, the best part of the dish for me was the spinach. The beef was very tender, but was a little plain. On the bright side, the hash browns were seasoned perfectly in terms of salt.

I think I need bring up Murphy's again because this is the place that's come closes so far to having the best brunch. While I like the space at The Parrish better, the food at Murphy's in undoubtedly superior. The brunch menu at The Parrish wasn't as exhaustive as the one at Murphy's, but they had most of the classics: granola, pancakes, eggs benedict, American-style breakfast. One thing missing was any type of fritatta. I also missed the little things that Murphy's does at The Parrish, for example the free pastries they give you before you get your order. Can't beat free stuff ;) However, I'm having lots of fun trying new places to see if I can find something better than Murphy's :)

1 comment:

  1. Well that sounds nice. Do you wan to hear about the breakfast that I had at a truck stop in Canada? Of course you do. You know how in movies truck stops, or local small town restaurants, always have the best pies and coffee. So I expected this to be a great experience, but it wasn't. We got a bunch of flavorless eggs who were made good only by dumping hot sauce on top of them, and some very greasy ham which looked more like Spam than ham. The side potatoes were good though... I'm thinking I should start my own blog about all the cheap bad food I have eaten. :)

    -Pumpkin

    ReplyDelete