Monday, July 4, 2011

Light French Food?

I really hate it when my plans fall through, like when Cashew and I couldn't go to Amuse because they're closed on Mondays. Of course, we had to go back. Interestingly, one night both of us wanted to eat something light, but we both wanted to go to Amuse. Well, when I think of French food, I usually think of decadent chocolate desserts, bread, butter and heavy sauces, but we decided to go there anyway and try our luck with the menu.

Lucky for us, they started us off with warm bread and butter. Warm bread is one of my favorite things in the world, even on a hot summer night. We enjoyed it so much, we had to ask for more of it. After so much bread, we were happy to order items only from the appetizer and salad menus. I have to admit though, some of their entrees did look tempting and I might try them some other time. Anyway, we settled on the goat cheese on a bed of tomatoes and their specialty salad for the night: avocado and crab meat. The avocado and crab salad was unexpected (but in a good way), made with real crab meat, and delicious. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the tomato salad. I guess I thought it would come up with diced fresh tomatoes. Instead, it consisted of crushed tomatoes with some cheese sprinkled on top of it. And honestly, the crushed tomatoes tasted like canned crushed tomatoes... It was very disappointing. I ended up spreading the tomatoes and cheese on the bread, which did make them more edible. (An aside: I actually love cooking with canned crushed tomatoes, but they are too bland to serve them raw...)

Finally Cashew and I got the obligatory French dish - escargot. They came in garlic and parsley butter, which I prefer to breaded escargot. I liked the melted butter, especially with the warm bread :) However, the escargot didn't seem very fresh, and were a little chewy.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the food we got that night at Amuse. Additionally, the service wasn't the best. We had to wait for some items, and the waiters almost seemed rude. The only thing that redeemed the place was the bread, but this is something I can get at any good bakery...

No comments:

Post a Comment