Sunday, July 3, 2011

Seafood extravaganza

I loooove seafood. I love all types of seafood: fish, shrimp, crab meat, etc. I have to admit, I've never had octopus, but I am pretty sure I won't hate it. Anyway, Cashew and I like to go on seafood "splurges" when we eat a ton of seafood for dinner. We've been to Fontaine's Oyster House a couple of times and shared their steamed seafood platter (meant to be shared by 4 people...). Every time we've been there, we have a restaurant.com coupon for $25 off our check, so we end up paying only about $15 each for huuuge amounts of seafood. Sadly, we hadn't been there in a few months, so we were going through seafood withdrawal...

Thankfully, Cashew found out about another deal in town: $5 for a dozen oysters at Steamhouse Lounge. This deal seemed too good to be true, but it is real and it is going on every Wednesday. The oysters were surprisingly huge for the amount of money we were paying. Yes, there were some smaller ones, but overall I was very satisfied with what we got. Well, they could have been scrubbed a little better, but I guess that's what distinguishes a nicer restaurant from a bar.

Of course, a dozen oysters is not enough to fill us up, so Cashew and I shared the crab legs platter as well. We got 1.5 lb of crab with sides of cole slaw and corn on the cob. The good news is, the majority of the crab tasted fresh and delicious. The bad news was that there were definitely pieces from old crab legs mixed in with the good crab. This is a really bad idea actually because the bad crab stands out so easily when you eat it right after a piece of fresh crab... Another negative about the meal was the overly-buttery corn. I love my corn on the cob to be simply boiled in salted water, nothing else added. I can eat corn with a little butter, but when the butter is dripping off the cob and makes your whole mouth feel as if you ate a solid piece of butter, it's not enjoyable. Well, I guess many people in the South are used to get their corn on the cob prepared in this buttery way, so it was just personal preference.

The amount of seafood we consumed that night did satisfy the craving, but I think it's smarter to stick to food that doesn't rely on seafood freshness when at Steamhouse Lounge.

No comments:

Post a Comment