Sunday, February 13, 2011

MY Moussaka

My mom's moussaka is one of my most favorite things to eat. You might have seen it on the menu of Greek or Mediterranean restaurants and even ordered it. But let me tell you, my mom's version is NOTHING like the ones they sell in restaurants. The most obvious difference is that my mom uses potatoes instead of eggplants. She also makes it with ground pork rather than a pork/lamb mixture. Finally, from the one time when I actually tried it, the moussaka in restaurants resembles a stew, and my mom's is a lot drier. In summary, you probably have no idea what my mom's moussaka tastes like. So just take my word for it when I say that it's amazing :)

Anyway, the reason why I'm writing about moussaka now is because I made it myself today. Well, it was probably my 5th attempt to re-create my mom's moussaka, and all other attempts failed pretty miserably... Today was different, though! This is the closest I've gotten to getting the recipe right! I did use ground turkey rather than ground pork, so I'm going to attribute any differences in taste to the different meat. Other than that, it had the familiar taste and texture that I love :D I'm so proud of myself, haha. Now I can make my favorite dish whenever I want :)

1 comment: